8.17.2009

Today I've been thinking a lot about our kids. For many of our adult volunteers it's a rough transition coming home. Not waking up to children yelling. Not being greeted with hugs and smiles. Not breaking up fights. Not wrapping up our munchkins in sun-warmed towels when they get out of the chilly lake. Not writing and receiving letters from the mail. Not winding down the kids for bed. We are brought back to the reality of the city and a much faster life, filled with things that seem much less important. We miss our kids and we miss them a lot. As the time continues on we get stories filled with happy memories shared with caretakers. However, we also get some stories from case carriers of a reality that our kids come home to much different than ours. One that is accompanied by loss, and heartache, and many switches from home to home. It reminds me of how much love needs to be shared. It reminds me that even when it seems like there is too much work to be done with this population we have to push on. The feelings we feel are expressed well in this story written by Mr. Milbrandt;

The Starfish Story

While walking on the beach one day, I saw Starfish by the score.
And everywhere I looked it seamed, I saw a thousand more.
Then what to my surprise appeared? A boy of nine or ten.
And as the Starfish washed ashore, he threw them back again.
I smiled at his exuberance and noticed his frustration.
"One fish won't make a difference son; You can't change this situation"
He stooped and picked up one more fish, then looking right at me.
"I can make a difference for this one sir," and he tossed him back to sea.

So I went and gathered all my friends, my brothers and my cousins.
We joined in with that little lad to save Starfish by the dozens.
There are many to rescued. Many "Starfish" on life's shore.
And you can make a difference too...by saving just one more.





No comments:

Post a Comment